Sam Watkins specializes in trademark and related intellectual property litigation, with an emphasis on designing and implementing cost-effective brand protection strategies targeting counterfeiters, gray marketers, pirates, and others who illegally import or distribute copyrighted, patented, or trademarked goods.
Mr. Watkins advises leading companies in the apparel, beverage, footwear, and fitness industries on how best to address counterfeit and gray market issues.
Mr. Watkins developed his innovative and highly effective approach to combating counterfeiters while representing one of the nation's largest consumer products companies. This successful brand protection effort involved numerous lawsuits against over one thousand importers, Internet vendors, retailers, and suppliers across the United States. These lawsuits not only resulted in multi-million dollar damages awards and settlements against counterfeiters and gray marketers, they also produced significant rulings in the field of trademark enforcement law.
Prior to joining Theodora Oringher PC, Sam was a partner with the Seattle law firm of Davis Wright Tremaine LLP.
- Represents internationally-known fitness company in comprehensive effort to combat the importation and sale of counterfeit home exercise equipment
- Represents internationally-known apparel company in litigation against importers of counterfeit swimwear
- Represented major cigarette manufacturer in more than thirty Lanham Act and Tariff Act actions brought against dozens of importers and more than a thousand retailers of commercial quantities of counterfeit cigarettes
- Represented major software company against antitrust and copyright infringement allegations
- Represented owner of stylized walking-map of the city of Portland, Oregon in copyright infringement action against publisher of rival map
- Obtained million dollar federal jury verdict for a major airline in its contract dispute with aircraft maintenance provider
- Represented major cigarette manufacturer in wrongful death action
- Represented major cigarette manufacturer in healthcare cost recovery action brought by the government of the Republic of the Marshall Islands
- Represented pharmaceutical company in an action against its insurer seeking reimbursement of CERCLA clean-up costs
- Successfully challenged a local smoking ban in the State of Washington, obtaining a 9-0 decision from the Washington State Supreme Court on behalf of a coalition of business owners adversely impacted by the ban
- Coach Wins $8M Award in Counterfeit Case Read more >
- Sam Watkins Secures Jury Verdict in Favor of Coach, Inc. Read more >
- Sam Watkins Spotlighted in September 2010 issue of IACC's Get Real Newsletter Read more >
- Sam Watkins Featured in IACC Member Spotlight Read more >
- Samuel Watkins Interviewed by Smart Business Magazine: Protecting Your Brand Read more >
- Samuel Watkins Joins Theodora Oringher PC Read more >