Helen B. Kim
Helen is a business litigator, generally representing public and private companies, their directors, officers and principal shareholders before the courts and in arbitration proceedings. Her experience includes numerous complex commercial litigations involving the defense of securities and other class actions, shareholder derivative suits and related regulatory investigations. Helen has been recognized repeatedly by the Daily Journal as one of the top women litigators in the State of California.
Prior to joining Theodora Oringher PC, Helen was a partner of Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP in Los Angeles. She is a graduate of Harvard College and the Yale Law School, where she was note editor of the Yale Law Journal. She also holds a degree from the Juilliard School of Music (M.M., classical piano performance).
- Defense of the former general counsel of the largest commodities broker in the United States in numerous securities class actions and related insurance coverage litigation arising from the failure to disclose a $400 million account receivable in a bond offering and its initial public offering. Obtained the dismissal of client from two securities class actions. In a third related securities litigation, she reached a settlement, which obtained final court approval
- Defense of the former chief executive officer of one of the world's largest healthcare companies in securities class action litigation arising from the company's restatement of financials following a corporate acquisition
- Defense of large insurance company in nationwide securities class action arising from sale of securitized insurance products
- Defense of large insurance company in numerous actions filed by opt-out plaintiffs in California, Florida and Texas
- Defense of brokerage firm arising from issuance of forged stock certificates. Obtained dismissal after motion to dismiss
- Defense of global financial services firm in securities class action litigation arising from the initial public offering of Salton-Maxim, Inc.
- Represented media company in prosecution of California state securities fraud, breach of fiduciary duty claims against former officers and directors of acquired subsidiary
- Represented a minority shareholder in a control dispute over closely held corporation. Obtained a ruling setting aside another shareholder's attempt to appoint himself sole director of the corporation and also obtained a court order appointing interim directors for the corporation, which included their clients
- Defended British metals producer in California state antitrust action. Obtained favorable settlement
- Defended directors and officers of California limited liability company against action for breach of commercial lease based on "veil piercing" theory
- Meet the Women Rainmakers, Law Practice Today (February 2013) Read more >
- Helen Kim Receives Women's Leadership Award Read more >
- Helen Kim Elected to Korean American Coalition Board Read more >
- Linda Hatcher and Helen Kim re-appointed to serve on the Board of Governors of Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles (WLALA). Read more >
- Helen Kim Receives Koreatown Community Award Read more >